Welcome to New Mercies Farm
New Mercies Farm is taking a Sabbatical year in 2015
We will resume full production in 2016.
The farm is a 5 acre certified organic farm nestled in the quiet countryside of the Connecticut River Valley in Lyme, CT. It was established in 2012 as a social enterprise committed to 3 goals.
1. Preserve farmland
2. Provide wholesome, locally grown food to the community
3. Provide an opportunity for younger organic farmers to build a farm enterprise
2015 is our 4th year of pursuing these goals and much has been accomplished. The land has been redeemed from the threat of real estate development. The land has been improved and infrastructure built for a sustainable farm enterprise. Vegetables have been produced with the expected flavor and nutrient density. We have achieved USDA Certification as an Organic Farm.
2015 should have been the year that we made the transition from an employed farmer model to a leasehold arrangement with the farmer. Unfortunately we were not able to develop a credible and mutually satisfactory business plan to achieve farmer independence.
So during the 2015 growing season we will focus on improving the land by planting a cover crop of nitrogen-fixing legumes. We will also focus on finding the next farmer with a skill set and experience better matched to long term sustainable farming. To that end we have retained the services of Kathy Ruhf of Land for Good (www.landforgood.org). Kathy is a consultant with long experience in farm transitions and preservation. She will assist us in developing a sustainable model that combines independence and support for the farmer. She will also assist us in the search for a new farmer. Kathy will also provide us with assistance in our longer term goal of transitioning ownership of the farm and/or development rights to an appropriate not-for-profit entity.
We apologize to those who hoped for a CSA share this year or looked forward to our produce at the Lyme Farmers Market or enjoyed our heirloom tomatoes on the menu at Al Forno Restaurant. We hope to see you in 2016.
We wish our friend, lover of the earth and fellow farmer Michael Melillo the very best in his next endeavor.
Please feel free to call or email with any questions or concerns.
Rod and Debby Hornbake
New Mercies Farm
News from the Farm
- New Mercies Farm is on Sabbatical February 7, 2015
- Bionutrient Density of Food February 7, 2015
- Friends of the Farm February 7, 2015
- CSA FAQ February 7, 2015
- Farmstand by reservation January 22, 2015
- Farmstand by reservation January 3, 2015
- Our Sweet Spinach Returns!! Farmstand By Reservation December 21, 2014
- Thanksgiving Farmstand! November 24, 2014
- New Mercies Farm Stand! October 21, 2014
- Harvest Celebration at the Farm!!!! October 15, 2014